Sunday, February 27, 2011

Journal Entry: Evaluation

They're were many things in this novel that the author did that I liked most definitely. With only minor things I didn't appreciate, if only because it was saddening for me in some way. For example of a dislike, half-way through the novel, he was the main character Vali go on a rampage during a battle scene, and ends up killing his best friend Bragi. Simply because he was there. I for one liked Bragi, he was funny, and had been Vali's saving grace and a faithful friend throughout the whole novel. I just felt he deserved a more heroic death, but I guess that's not always how it happens. So I understood the realism in his untimely death as well. They were things I liked as well though, many things. I love how the author could keep you hooked from the first chapter to the last, and even with his last page he left you begging for more! He could easily write a sequel, although it would be a little repetitive as the plot revolves around a prophecy that plays itself over and over again. The thrill throughout the whole book never died, it only changed in amounts. The author has a knack for building up the suspense in various ways, and then somehow unleashing it on you with a chain reaction of different events. I enjoyed it so much. There was no pause in between to catch my breath for whats next, it just kept coming and coming.

If I were to compare this book to others I have read, it would most certainly rank up near the top. I've read many books by many authors and they all have their unique qualities and aspects. None of them however had the same grip that this book has had on my from the first chapter. Most books I've read have had to take time to build up, and those beginning chapters were always a bore. This one however had me from the start! It was hard to put the book down in the store so I could actually buy it, let alone leave it alone for school or other commitments. I'm currently reading another viking series at the moment, and they match up as far as their life-styles and actions go. They all love their boats for sure, treat them like children even. For their lives can very well depend on their ship when put out to sea. It's safe to say that although I've read many books, this one has stood out from the rest in certain ways, and I'm quite glad it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment