Saturday, February 26, 2011

Journal Entry: Quotations

They are many parts in this book that I would consider to be excellent writing, but if I had to narrow it down to one, It would most certainly be the scene of Vali drowning himself in the mystical swamp to try and contact Odin. The author described in detail four whole days and nights of Vali being drowned in that swamp. I feel this way because during this chapter, it is almost like YOU are laying right down beside him drowning in the cold murky water. I could almost feel the bonds of rope tied around my wrists and ankles to keep me from fight back. Like I was the one begging and crying for mercy from friends who kept throwing me back in the water, in spite of knowing it's what I needed to do. The waves of pain and suffering seems to be crashing against me like waves as I read this scene once, twice, and three times.

There is a quote at the very start of the book that I thought was an insightful and interesting to start the novel. "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being - and who is willing to destroy a piece of their own heart?" It was a great way to start the book in my opinion, definitely set the right kind of tone that the author played off of during the whole novel. It relates very well to real life and the novel, for there have been great people who have stooped to evil things indeed. As for the novel, Vali starts out as the hero in search of his captured loved one, he is "innocent" in a sense. Only to turn on his friend half way and kill him without even a moments pause. It just goes to show that no matter how virtuous you are, no matter how righteous your cause. Everyone has that inner-animal, their dark side, that is just dying to get out to control us, and if we are not careful, that is exactly what it will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment