I know quite a few other books that are both alike and very different than this one. I read lots of fantasy novels that my dad has owned since he was my age, as well as ones that I've started to collect as well. I'm currently reading another historical fiction series on vikings as well, and they do have their similarities. Of course they all love their longboats, as well as the sea. I always admire how much work and care they take with their ships, everything is perfect on it. Even after a battle they will begin immediately cleaning the deck off so as not too "upset" the ship. True dedication to a craft I think. What is different however in the novels though is how their mythology plays into it. In Wolfsangel the Gods play a much more direct role, the characters actually meet them at some point and talk with them. In the other series though, the Gods are more just a religious symbol. sure they worship them and have necklaces with their signs on it, but the characters never actually meet one, or the Gods never actually take on a human form to communicate with the mortals that is.
This book reminds me of some things in my life, mainly stuff that anyone could relate too though. For instance Vali and his inner-beast, I do relate to that. Sometimes, like Vali, I just can't control it. I've mention in a different journal that me and Vali are a lot alike, and this is one of those things too. As well as Vali impressing the girl he eventually falls in love with. He was a prince and she was a common girl, but she didn't make it any easier for him, if anything she was harder. Although I'm no prince, I certainly got a laugh out of that. Since it was no simple task for me either to get to where I am now with the girl I'm with.
No comments:
Post a Comment