Sunday, February 27, 2011

Journal Entry: Questions

What made this book special? There are many things. I think what truly had me attached from chapter one, was the promise of danger and mystery that seemed too leap off the page with every paragraph. There was no soft side to this novel, not a place in the book where you could feel calm about whats going on. You are pulled into the action and you just can't seem to get free. Although I never wanted too be. I loved how the book always had a sense that there was something behind the curtain just waiting to be revealed. I think what made this book special as well was the personality of the characters. I felt like I could actually meet someone like them in real life. It was almost like meeting a new group of friends. This book made you feel their pain, their joy, and their loss along with them.

My favourite character in the novel was Vali, and coincidentally he was apart of my favourite scene as well. To start off, Vali was my favourite character because he was the one I felt I could most relate too. We share a dry sense of humour that other characters in the book always we're irritated by, not too mention our sarcasm. Not only do we have things in common, but he is someone I might aspire to be more like as well. As for my favourite scene, it would be near the end of the book, when Vali finally succumbs to his destiny completely and becomes the Fenris Wolf. I like it so much because it had been the scene I was waiting for the entire book, I wanted to see what would be the after-effect, what would happen, would he change back? Safe to say I wasn't disappointed. He attacked a whole village of tribesmen who were actually trying to summon him! How stupid eh? Anyways, he attacked them because they also had Adisla, the girl he loves. Some part, no matter how small, was still Vali and he knew he needed to save her. I was so excited by the prospect of what she would say when she saw him. If she would fear him completely, or perhaps even see past the beast and still know it's Vali.

And as much as that's my favourite scene, the conclusion was still something to remember. It was so unexpected, so surprising! I had never even thought of it being a possibility till I read it. Not that I'm complaining about that. The conclusion certainly made lots of things make even more sense, and added a twist to things that certainly made all the suspense through the book come to a satisfying climax in my opinion.

1 comment: